Buying a home can be an extremely stressful time especially if you’ve never gone through the process before. As your biggest fan, we’d like to help the process of buying your first home be a pleasurable one. Take a look at some of our favorite tips below:
- Save before you buy.
Buying a home is a long-term investment that requires deliberate financial planning
- Try to pay off as much debt as possible.
- Set aside an emergency fund.
- Try to have at least 10% set aside for a down payment.
- Do not buy more than you can realistically afford.
- Keep a list of all the things you know you need in your home.
- Consider how much space you really need.
- Have a candid conversation with your real estate agent so they can find a home that fits your budget.
- Budget for all costs, including closing costs, property taxes, and insurance.
Expenses for homes include more than just your mortgage payment, so be prepared.Sit down and make a budget that includes all costs beforehand so you know how much the entire investment will be.
- Don’t rush it.
- Research neighborhoods and schools so you find a place that is the best fit.
- Make sure you are completely satisfied with the home before you make an offer.
- Get all your paperwork in order.
The loan process often starts with a pre-qualification. At WVFSL, our loan process is pretty streamlined. Once you are ready, give us a call. Don’t know what information you need to gather in order to get the process started? We’ve got a blog article that lists what you need, here.
If a home purchase is in your future, get in touch with us. Cyndi O’Brien (NMLS# 754577) or Rick Farrow (NMLS# 800674) would love to answer any questions and help you get started.You can call them here at the office or on their cell phones.Cyndi O’Brien: 845-946-6635 or 845-895-2051 ext 431, Rick Farrow: 845-527-2090 or 845-895-2051 ext 426.
Wallkill Valley Federal Savings & Loan is an Equal Opportunity Housing Lender (NMLS#404992).