History

The Wallkill Valley Federal Savings & Loan Association was organized in July of 1913. The stated goals of the Association at that time were to promote thrift and homeownership within the local community. It sought to meet these goals by providing a safe place for local savings deposits and by prudently lending these deposits back into the community in the form of home mortgages. Although many years have gone by since the Association was first chartered, and the financial services landscape has changed dramatically, we still take pride in meeting these traditional goals.

  • The Savings and Loan activities were conducted under a State Charter for 22 years, until in 1935, the Directors took the necessary steps to Federalize the Association. Since that time, it has operated under charter of the United States Government.

The continued growth of the institution during the 1940’s, particularly during the years following the end of World War II, soon made it apparent that the Association would need its own office building. On July 29, 1950, this new office building was opened to the public. The staff at that time was comprised of two full time employees. Total Association Assets at that time stood at just over 3 million dollars.

Under the direction of our Association's President, Mr. Howard Terwilliger, plans to renovate existing office space were brought to fruition. The renovated office structure was dedicated in April of 1972. The additional space made it possible to transfer savings account operations to an on-line computerized system, which in turn enabled the Association to offer daily interest on accounts, various types of CD’s and NOW checking accounts. Mr. Terwilliger retired in 1984 and went on to serve as Chairman of the Board until his retirement in 2007.  John R. Edler was elected Association president in 1984 and continued in that position until his retirement in December of 2010.  Michael Horodyski assumed the role of President and CEO in 2011. 

The first full service branch outside of Wallkill was opened in Milton, NY on February 28, 2011.  This was the Associations first attempt to move outside of Wallkill and bring our unique way of delivering financial services to our surrounding communities.  In 2012, the Association marked another milestone with the acquisition of Highland Falls Federal Savings and Loan.  Much like us, Highland Falls Federal was engrained in the local community and we are excited to continue and grow our brand with our first Orange County bank branch.

Recent years have been challenging for banking institutions.  Economic conditions have stressed borrowers and depressed interest rates.  We continue to work to provide the fairest rates and products possible.  We want to ensure that we in no way jeopardize the safety and capital that we have worked hard to build and which provides the safety that you rely on.

2013 marks Wallkill Valley Federal's 100th year helping our neighbors with their financial needs.  We are excited to have maintained and grown our prescence over the last 100 years and look forward to expanding and continuing prudent stewardship for the next 100 years.

Our history demonstrates that the Association has a long and proud history of successfully meeting the financial needs of the local community. We will always strive to be a customer oriented community bank. We look forward with great excitement and anticipation to the future and we invite you to both contribute to, and benefit from, the future success of the Wallkill Valley Federal Savings & Loan Association.